Sadio Mane, N’Golo Kante among stars who will miss World Cup

Explanation

“Manchester City” coach Josep Guardiola called it “crazy”. Former Liverpool star Jamie Carragher said it was an “absolute disgrace”, while current Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp felt the football world was “to blame” for the situation.

The big names weren’t denigrating a bad game or a questionable call, but the timing of this year’s World Cup, which was pushed back to late autumn after it was controversially awarded to Qatar in 2010 to avoid the country’s hot summer. temperatures.

In the weeks leading up to the World Cup, club managers expressed displeasure with the timing of the tournament. For their national team counterparts, a busy schedule also means a depleted roster as top players carry off-season injuries on the world stage. Here are some of the highlights that could take away games or the entire competition.

The worst scenario for Senegalese fans happened on Thursday when the team announced Star striker Sadio Mane is out of the World Cup as he recovers from a right fibula injury.

Abdoulaye Sou, a member of the board of Senegal’s football federation, told reporters earlier this week that Mane will miss the team’s “first games” at the World Cup due to an injury he picked up last week against Bayern Munich. Instead, the team will now be without its best player as it looks to improve on a 1-1-1 record in 2018 group stage play.

Also Read :  French man wins right to not be ‘fun’ at work in wrongful termination case

The 2022 African Player of the Year, Mane established himself as one of the world’s most dangerous attacking players with Liverpool before making the jump to the German powerhouse. His contributions have been crucial to the West African nation’s success, as evidenced by his winning penalty in the shootout to beat Egypt in the Africa Cup of Nations final in February.

South Korea star Son Heung-min has not been ruled out, but his World Cup participation is in doubt after the Tottenham forward underwent surgery this month to repair a broken eye bone.

To the relief of South Korean fans, Son was pictured wearing a mask in training on Wednesday. Son, who shared the “Golden Boot” of the Premier League with Liverpool’s Mo Salah last season, scored two goals in the 2018 World Cup. His South Korean team will begin their group stage match against Uruguay on November 24.

Kante, a key member of the 2018 World Cup-winning squad, was ruled out of this year’s World Cup last month after undergoing the latest operation on a series of foot problems that hampered his first season with Chelsea.

France are hoping to become the first country to win back-to-back World Cups in 1958 and 1962, but the squad’s impressive depth will be tested in Qatar. It is also without Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba (September knee surgery), Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana (October knee injury) and RB Leipzig striker Christopher Nkunku, who suffered an injury in training on Tuesday, ending his World Cup before it began.

Also Read :  World-class scholarships recognize world-class talents at UND

French manager Didier Deschamps has included the following names in his 25-man squad despite all three having been injured in recent weeks: Lucas Hernandez (hamstring), Raphael Varane (thigh) and Jules Conde (thigh).

Steffen was viewed as the highlight of the USA World Cup roster unveiled last week after he was USA coach Gregg Berhalter’s first choice goalkeeper for most of the coach’s tenure.

Berhalter instead opted for Matt Turner, New York City FC veteran Sean Johnson and Ethan Horvath, a New League Nottingham Forest keeper on loan to English second-tier club Luton Town.

Steffen, a former University of Maryland star, has been mostly healthy this season, starting 16 of Middlesbrough’s 20 league games in England’s second tier.

“Zach has been with me many times and it was heartbreaking for me to tell him he would not be on the World Cup team,” said Berhalter, who coached Steffen with the Columbus MLS Crew in 2017-18. “It’s more about who we have and the comfort level with the guys on the roster. We felt really comfortable with Matt, Ethan and Sean. And that’s the direction we decided to go.”

The USMNT World Cup roster is out. Here’s who made the cut.

Gianluigi Donnarumma and others.

Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma is healthy and is known to play for PSG. However, like the rest of his compatriots, Donnarumma will not feature in Qatar after the Azzurri failed to qualify for the second World Cup. Egypt’s Salah, Norwegian sensation Erling Holland, Nigerian star Wilfred Ndidi and James Rodriguez, star of Colombia’s 2014 World Cup exit, could also be included in the group.

Also Read :  Biden arrives in Cambodia looking to counter China's growing influence in Southeast Asia

The Chelsea star injured his knee in last month’s Champions League game against AC Milan and was hoping to recover in time to contribute to England’s World Cup pursuit. While some recovering players have been selected for their country’s squad, James was “surprised” to learn last week that he had been left out.

Chelsea team-mate Ben Chilwell will join James’ side, although he is expected to pick up a knee injury in another Champions League game this month. England’s back line now includes Luke Shaw, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Kieran Trippier and Kyle Walker, who have all been ruled out despite undergoing groin surgery in October.

Brendan Rodgers, Chillwell’s former manager at Leicester City, drew attention to the injury crisis ahead of the World Cup, telling reporters, “The players will be at their best. [for their club]but there is no doubt in their minds that an injury could put them out of the game.

“You could argue and say it’s going to be the same at the end of the season, but you get that buffer and so we all thought it wasn’t the best time.”



Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button